Spring Time Mandalas

Spring Time Mandalas

Mindful crochet - Quick projects to calm the mind.


Sometimes I just want a nice quick project that will allow me to experiment with colour and stitches, and use up some of the yarn that I already have in my stash. I find mandalas are perfect for this.  They satisfy my crochet itch without the stress of starting another large, seemingly never ending project. They are quick to complete and make great little gifts for friends and family.  I tend to use my mandalas as little mats to sit under my flower vases, protecting the surface underneath from any watermarks. Or, for really intricate designs, I have in the past popped them into box frames as they make great little pieces of art work. Why not show off your crochet skills for all to see! 

There are some great resources on the internet with free mandala patterns.  Here are a couple of crochet mandalas I have enjoyed making in the past and the links to the websites with the patterns I used.

Daisy Pom Pom Mandala

This is a lovely mandala that I made following the pattern by Miki from SFMGS (Set Free My Gypsy Soul). Miki has a fantastic website full of colour, inspiration and wonderful crochet patterns, advice and ideas which you can visit here: http://www.sfmgs.co.uk/

I made this mandala using Paintbox Cotton DK yarn.  I find this cotton yarn gives really good stitch definition, which is great for mandala designs, as well as being hardwearing and easy to wash, essential for if dirty water or flower pollen gets on to your mandala.

The full pattern instructions can be found on Miki's website: http://www.sfmgs.co.uk/2016/11/daisy-pom-pom-mandala-free-crochet-pattern.html 

I have listed the colours I used for my project below.

Yarn brand: Paintbox Yarns Cotton DK

Colours used
Round 1: Buttercup Yellow
Round 2: Blood Orange
Round 3: Pillar Red
Round 4: Banana Cream
Round 5: Lime Green
Round 6: Marine Blue
Round 7: Kingfisher Blue
Round 8: Banana Cream

Vintage Rainbow Mandala

This gorgeous mandala design is by Celine from Crafty CC.  Celine is another favourite maker of mine that uses beautiful rainbow colours in all of her designs. She also has a fantastic website full of beautiful designs which you can visit here: https://craftycc.com/  

This mandala was great for challenging my crochet skills, lots of different techniques and stitch types used.  Celine's version is made in lovely rainbow colours going from pink to purple with beautiful white accents mixed in between rounds. For my project I decided to keep to the warm colours of the colour wheel and choose a range of orange, yellow, red and purple hues. This was one that I glued into a little box frame and gave as a gift to my mum. Celine also has instructions on her website for how to convert your mandala into a granny square!

Again, I have listed the colours I used for my project below.


Yarn brand: Paintbox Yarns Cotton DK

Colours used
Round 1: Buttercup Yellow
Round 2: Banana Cream
Round 3: Blood Orange
Round 4: Lipstick Pink
Round 5: Buttercup Yellow
Round 6: Banana Cream
Round 7: Buttercup Yellow
Round 8: Raspberry Pink
Round 9: Rich Mauve
Round 10: Banana Cream
Round 11: Lipstick Pink

Do you like making mandalas?  What are your favourite patterns and colours to use?



Popular posts from this blog

Crochet Moss Stitch Granny Square

'A Little Bit of Happiness' Crochet Project

Mindful Crochet - Giant Granny Square Blanket